If you are struggling to find new listings in commercial real estate then you can improve the situation by reviewing and understanding the listings of other agents in your location and your territory. You can use their listings as triggers to improve your listing and new client situation.
Use Other Agents as Listing Leverage
Here are some ways you can do that quickly and effectively:
- Other agent’s listings for both sales and leasing – If another agent puts a signboard up on a property in a street, you can use that signboard as a reason to talk to local property owners in the immediate vicinity. Why is that the case, and why is it useful? Firstly it is likely that the other agent has not spoken to those nearby property owners to check out their property situation and interest; secondly any nearby property owner considering a sale or lease of their property, could be interested in competing using you as their agent. You can convert more momentum on your listings based on the marketing of the other properties.
- Methods of marketing – Many if not most agents market their listings generically. You can use other agent’s listings as poor examples of marketing. The proof of that fact is usually seen in the time on market.
- For sale by owners – There will always be an assortment of commercial real estate listings marketed by owners locally. Their motivation in doing so is usually to save money and avoid commission. The reality of the situation is that they do not have the resources of a good client database or marketing strategy. They cannot comprehensively market their property without a top agent to help. You can pitch your services to those property owners but do not discount your commissions; if they want your services to solve their listing problem then they should pay for it.
- Properties in the same street – Review properties by street and location. Slowly move through the street and research the owners that you can talk to. By concentrating on a street by street basis you are delving deeper than most other agents. The property research as this level is time consuming and comprehensive; you will however find people to talk to and that is what the industry is all about. Find the right people and ask questions. In most streets you will find one or two listing opportunities now or in the future.
- Poorly marketed properties – When you look at some listings on the internet you will see obvious signs of poor marketing. Usually those properties will be incorrectly photographed, and the advertising copy will be average at best. You can do much better with your property marketing and your listing or sales pitch you show the client how you can do that. Keep a selection and samples of recent listings with you where you can show the client that you really do have a different approach when it comes to property promotion. To be a top agent your marketing efforts should be superior and visually so.
- Stale listings – Some properties will stay on the market for a long time. There are reasons for that and those reasons are usually easy to see. When the listing expires with another agent, you can offer a different approach of marketing and method of sale or lease. Base your listing and sales pitch on the tools that bring results.
So you have some good things to do here. Focus your marketing efforts around the weaknesses of other agents. Stand out as the best agent locally.
You can get more tips and ideas for commercial real estate brokerage right here in our bulletin.