If you haven’t worked it out yet, online marketing is taking over commercial real estate advertising and property promotion. Every year there are new things to do and learn as part of property promotion in both sales and leasing. It is regrettable that many agents and brokers just do the ‘ordinary stuff’ in commercial real estate marketing. They don’t ‘step out of the box’ when it comes to property promotion.
If you want to rise to the top of your local property market, you will have to get your property marketing under control and drive it comprehensively online. Only you can do that. A system of marketing is required. Have you got one now?
Here is a challenge for you. Factor up your online marketing and drive a solid marketing strategy online with all your exclusive listings (open listings really don’t deserve the extra effort). Penetrate your online marketing activities across your location and property specialty. Here are some specifics to help you with that:
- Frequency – The search engines love ‘frequency’ and that means doing something every day online. The thing or things that you do must be tuned to specific keywords relevant to your location and your property type. Put your name behind and into everything that you do online. You are part of the promotion, so remember that key element and make it work for you.
- Blog – Every agent and broker should have a property blog that they professionally write and service. Each day that agent should be posting something about their location or property activity. Make it interesting and put some good facts into your blogging activity; talk about your town or city, and how property facts are changing and shaping. You have plenty to talk about when you really think about things.
- Branding – Your branding online may be something to do with your brokerage, but you should also be promoting yourself online. People do business with those agents that they remember and trust. Your branding and personal marketing has to position you in that way. It’s a personal thing.
- Images – Always use good quality images to pull in the eye and interest of the reader. Take plenty of photographs locally and keep them for placement in your blog and or articles online. A good image will help your brokerage brand. First class marketing solutions always include excellent quality images.
- Advertising Copy – You can get quite good at writing advertising copy and property editorials. There are some good books available that provide marketing ideas to attract readers, words that sell, and phrases that sell. Get away from the ‘ordinary stuff’ in your property advertising online. Use words and phrases that pull in the reader’s interest.
- Headline – A good headline is 50% of the equation in pulling in the reader to any property article or advertisement. Look at how newspapers and magazines use headlines in this way. You can get plenty of ideas from those sources to help you with headlines.
- Keywords – You are a broker or agent working in a location and with a property type(s). From those 2 factors you can use specific keywords in all of your marketing and articles online. Search engines look for keywords when matching property inquiry to search results.
- Social media – I have deliberately put social media last on the list. That is because you should not start your social media activities in commercial real estate unless you have all the other issues underway and under control. You can link all of your social media efforts back to your articles, blogs, listings, and noteworthy helpful hints.
From these ideas you can now see how you can and should build your online marketing presence as a commercial real estate agent or broker. When you do that comprehensively you can penetrate your property market online and put your personal brand forward as the ‘agent of choice’ for the location. This is not a random process; it is very specific.