Any opportunity in commercial real estate today should be acted on quickly and effectively. If you ‘sleep overnight’ on the issue you will likely find that is not going to be there in the morning. There are many competing agents and brokers waiting to jump on the listing opportunities around you.
Here are some important rules to understand:
- Real estate today is becoming a global business that is traded on any day of the week at any time. You must be prepared to talk to a client or prospect on the telephone when he rings.
- The marketing process for commercial property has become timeless. Internet listings promote properties globally and across the country. Be prepared to take the enquiry when it occurs. Carry some standard forms as part of capturing inbound enquiry. Also carry a full set of current property listings ready to take the questions and inspections at short notice.
- Quality listings and good properties will create significant enquiry in any market. When you take a quality listing to the market today, be prepared to respond to the enquiries as they occur. A quality listing will create a significant amount of calls, and as a consequence, a good number of inspections. Time can be a precious commodity when you have a few high quality listings on the market are the same time. That being said, you still need to take the required actions and capture the enquiries effectively and efficiently.
- If the person wants to see you later in the evening or over the weekend as part of progressing to the next stage of a property enquiry, then create the meeting and let it occur. Far too many brokers are selective when it comes to critical meetings and property inspections. Certainly you should qualify the prospect before you arrange a time to meet, but be prepared to work the longer hours and over the weekend. A career in commercial sales is totally different to a standard 9 to 5 job. The rewards are many; however you do need to work hard.
- Every property inspection is an opportunity to get information. The person you are showing the property to may not necessarily move to the next stage of offer; however you will get valuable market intelligence from the connection. Ask the questions, and put that information into your database.
- In every property inspection, build a degree of urgency to encourage the buyer to move to the next stage. Local property knowledge about competing listings, prices, and time on market will help you with the urgency factor. Understand the other listings that are available and the differences that exist between those listings and your property. I go back to the point that a quality listing will always encourage and create a good number of inbound enquiries. Be prepared to work on those leads and opportunities as they occur.
From these points, it is easy to see that a commercial real estate agent or broker should be focused and diligent. A lead or an opportunity today needs to be actioned as soon as possible. In that way you will grow your market share quickly and beat the competition.
You can get more tips like this for commercial real estate brokers in our newsletter.