In commercial real estate agency it is essential that you sustain peak performance when it comes to undertaking the daily business of an agent. Peak performance can be many different things for each of us, however in our property industry it usually relates to client contact, prospecting, marketing, and negotiations. It is a very personal process.
Here are some tips from our Newsletter.
The agents that are struggling are usually the ones that have little focus on the key issues that really matter. It is very easy to get tied up in mundane and ordinary issues. You can be ‘busy’ doing all the wrong things; you can also be ‘busy’ chasing hope in a sale or lease, and distant deals that you have been working on for months if not years. A good degree of selective work is required to build and maintain your income. Understand the difference between a good deal that has a reasonable chance of success and one that is really a great waste of time.
The key issues in our industry relate to building the business, converting the business, and establishing a strong market share. Peak performance has something to do with that. Here are some tips to help you:
- Segment or split your day into the things that really matter. They are the things that will help you build your business, listings and commissions. If you put a title to the tasks they will be prospecting, client contact, and marketing. Those three things will allow you to inspect properties with the right people and negotiate on more deals.
- Identify the key issues, clients, actions, and tasks that are closest to the money and commissions. Avoid anything that cannot give you a lead or a commission. Your income depends on your focus and actions.
- What exactly are you really good at (in commercial real estate business)? Hopefully your skills are in connecting with clients, finding listings, and marketing. When you understand what you are good at you can do more of it. If you are not a top performer in some critical things then you will need to improve. Practice will be required.
- Enjoy what you do. Passion and attitude has a lot to do with moving your market share forward.
- Look for the top agents in the local area. See what they do and how it works for them. You can replicate their skills and actions. Watch and learn.
Simple things like these five will help you move ahead as an agent in commercial real estate. Control your time and your focus.
You must be logged in to post a comment.