When you manage a lot of commercial or retail properties you will know how frustrating and diverse the issue of security can be with many different property types. Each property will have factors of security that should be managed and optimised. Every tenant has to integrate into the security plans and systems for a managed property.
There is a lot of difference in security systems and procedures that are utilized in retail, industrial, and office properties. On that basis you really do need to know each managed property very well when it comes to security needs and responses.
A well-managed and operating property will be a reflection of the good property management systems that are implemented on the property. Security is part of that. Here are some security concerns and aspects that could be considered as you manage your portfolio.
- Fencing around the property should be reviewed for effectiveness. That will include any breaches, lighting issues, modification, and stability.
- Many properties will have car parks that require special security considerations. Customers and tenants using the property should be provided with a secure car parking environment both in office hours and out of office hours. The location of the property will have some bearing on this car park issue. Do not forget to look at how the car park is used at different times of day.
- Loading docks in the property will be accessed at special times and with differing types of vehicles. How is this done and what security concerns evolve from this?
- The entrances and exit points to the property should be looked at. As part of that process consider the door ways and the exit points that are involved in emergency evacuations. It is likely that you will need expert consultants to help you with planning workplace health and safety issues as they apply to property use and access in times of safety or emergency events.
- Lighting in a property will always be of concern. Lighting should be checked frequently to ensure that it does the job it is required to do. If the building is used after hours by customers or tenants, the lighting will need special consideration.
- Guards and security patrols may be required in a managed property. It really depends on the property location and the tenant mix.
The age, design, and location will always impact the way that a property is used by the tenants and the customers. It should be noted that a retail property will usually have greater levels of security coverage and response to keep the property safe and secure for occupants and customers.
Security is a valid need in property performance and function, and on that basis should be structured into the outgoings costs recovery for the property.
You must be logged in to post a comment.