Many times I have spoken to salespeople in commercial real estate about the market and what they perceive as opportunity this year. Some people have got a real grasp on their activities and listings. Sadly the majority (at least 90%) do not, and for one simple reason. They do not do enough cold calls to prospects. They do not therefore control their market and they do not have enough listing churn.
No matter how successful you think you are right now in commercial real estate sales and leasing, you must do the cold calls yourself and you must keep control of your own database records. Both of these issues are avoided by most salespeople; the reason for the avoidance is lack of commitment and persistence.
Here are some tips for those that are prepared to make the calls:
- Set aside the same time each day for the calls. In only that way will you make it a habit.
- You will need about 2 hours each day for the process.
- Do not hand your cold calls to a telemarketer, it is a waste of money. Only you really know how to talk to a prospect with relevance.
- Stand up when you make your calls. You will need a headset for the process. In standing up you will find that your conversation flows more freely and confidently.
- Make 50 calls per day to fresh contacts from the business community.
Is this a lot of work? Yes, but the rewards are real. If you are good at your calling process the market will be attracted to you and listings will follow. If you want some more tips on cold calling and listing business generation, then check out our website at http://www.commercial-realestate-training.com/