When it comes to your career in commercial real estate today, consistency is a key component to help you to progress in the industry. Without consistency, chaos is usually the result. Poor performance then follows as well as lower income or commissions.
Given that most salespeople work on some form of commission reward system, results will always be high on the agenda when it comes to personal performance. Every day contributes towards the future.
Here are some of the biggest hurdles that we find with salespeople in the industry:
- Lack of focus on prospecting
- The listings that are poorly served
- A database that is not up to date
- Client connection and communication systems that are random at best
- Generic marketing systems that produce little momentum towards enquiry
These issues should not occur. If we are to achieve more momentum in the industry, then results are really important to us and the agency we work for. This then says that we should be very consistent in what we do every day.
Systems can take us forward in generating new business, serving the clients that we act for, and dominating the local commercial real estate market. Systems are a personal thing.
Here are some ideas to help you with consistency and building the correct momentum in commercial real estate today.
- Start the day early with a planning process to connect to the right people that can help you move your business or listings forward. This will usually mean a prospecting process. In commercial real estate today, it is really easy to make prospecting calls the first thing every morning. Systemised action is the only thing that makes any difference in our industry. Everything else is pure luck. Luck is not a good thing when you work on commission; directed control will get you a lot further and faster.
- After you have completed your daily prospecting process, connect with all your clients to update them on recent marketing activities and property enquiry. Clients with exclusive listings should receive a priority in all communications and follow-up.
- Develop your skills so that you can convert more listings to your exclusive control. Open listings in our industry are really a waste of time, over which you have no control. Exclusive listings allow you to focus your marketing efforts, and control the enquiry that comes towards you. In this way you have a much better chance of converting the business. If you are finding it difficult to convert exclusive listings, then you probably need some skill upgrade, and the only way you can do that is through practice. Find some good books on pitching and presenting, and learn the best ways to go about it relative to your area and property type.
- Are you the best commercial real estate agent locally? Hopefully you have answered yes. Develop some real reasons and points of difference for your uniqueness in the local property market. Why should people use you? How can you provide the best service over quality listings? Develop some real answers that can help you drive your market share and listing conversions. Generic answers are a waste of time. Far too many agents use generic and bland statements relating to experience, time in the industry, and agency profile. Develop your answers that are far more significant than these generic statements.
It is not hard to see how you can improve your commercial real estate career and listing conversions. It all comes down to your personal systems and focus. Start taking some real action.