Commercial property management is a challenging part of the property business if you are going to do it properly. Complex properties require good managers that understand the property type and just how to keep things under control
It is hard to take up a position in looking after some properties without a qualified and experienced person to help you. Whilst the theory of property management can be studied, the practical experience will always help you greatly and fast track your learning curve. There are significant differences in the management style between industrial, office, and retail property.
Here are some of the things that are central to your job:
- Watching the trends of the market with focus on market rentals, vacancies, competing properties, supply and demand for premises, and new developments.
- Income and expenditure performance for properties in your area. Knowing the industry averages will help you a lot in keeping things under control. It should also be said that some properties will perform differently based on their property type and location. That is why specialisation is relevant in property management.
- When it comes to properties of medium to larger size, the establishment of a budget relating to income and expenditure is quite normal. The budget can only be set with due regard to property history, location, and other properties of similar type. Getting to know the competing properties and other property managers will help you in establishment of the budget for your managed assets.
- The current tenancy mix and the vacancy profile for the property will have direct impact on the income stream. That is why the market rentals, current lease profiles, and expected vacancies need to be carefully managed. Many managers will do their own leasing as part of the property management services. That should normally be the case however there should also be a separate fee for completed and successful negotiated leases. There will also be differences in leasing fees as it applies to leases of different types and different terms.
- Many property owners will have specific needs when it comes to cash flow. They will need to service financial obligations to the mortgagee, as well as payment of expected outgoings to run the property. That is why your experience and control become part of the property management service. The manager should understand exactly what’s happening in the property today and how the expenses are going to change cash flow over the forthcoming period.
A good manager will bring stability to an Investment Property. Stability then allows the property to be improved over time to the plans and the priorities of the landlord. It should also be said that a reasonable fee should be charged for commercial or retail property management services. There are no short cuts when it comes to quality in this industry, hence a suitable fee should be paid for professional commercial and retail property management services.
You can get more tips for Commercial Property Managers in our Newsletter right here.