In commercial real estate agency, you will need to interact with many different people in differing circumstances. To improve your chances of success, it pays to refine and practice your dialogue for the demands of our industry. Practice like this will help you in so many ways including market share, listing conversions, marketing adjustments, and deal conversions.
Our industry is competitive in many different ways, and on that basis personal dialogue improvement should be part of your skills upgrade.
The following situations are highly competitive and arise frequently each day:
- Prospecting for new listings and prospects to serve
- Talking to property investors and business proprietors in the local area
- Identifying property changes and opportunities
- Inspecting properties with buyers and tenants
- Inspecting properties with property investors
- Presenting and pitching your professional real estate services with property owners
- Negotiating a sale or a lease transaction
- Qualifying prospects and clients
- Closing on the necessary documentation as part of a sale or a lease
- Moving a transaction forward through the terms and conditions of the deal
- Keeping the clients, tenants, and buyers motivated as part of the transaction
- Working with solicitors, accountants, and other professional people
- Referral business with current clients and contacts
- Lead generation through people that you know or want to reach
This list can be quite daunting considering that many variables exist in each situation. If you cannot communicate well and show that you are a true commercial real estate professional the market will soon avoid you.
The longer you stay in the industry, the more experience you will have in each of the above matters. You can however fast track the process through some deliberate dialogue improvement and role playing.
The ways to improve your dialogue will involve a strategy and process. Here are some ideas to help you get started.
- Share the challenges of the market and your clients with the sales team. You can then discuss how you would respond to issues and challenges.
- Watch what other agents are listing today. Create some alternative marketing packages that you can use as examples in role playing.
- Once a week take the sales team to your listings and talk them through the properties as you see them. Sometimes an extra set of ‘eyes’ will help you see alternatives in inspections, marketing and promotion.
Self-improvement is an essential part of our industry. When you take on the challenge of improving yourself, the industry takes on a new momentum. Practice and improve what you do and say.